This morning Steve and I met with several of the staff at CPOP to discuss Andrew's education and possible attendance from Kindergarten through 8th grade. We met with the Principal, one of the learning consultants, school nurse and physical education teacher. Steve and I requested the meeting to discuss Andrew's neuromuscular disease along with our concerns, hopes and expectations for both the school and Andrew as he grows older and his disease progresses.
We educated the staff as best as we could about Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, based on what we have learned and researched about the disease. No one has a crystal ball and we can't say for sure when things will start to get harder for Andrew, but we do know most likely it will happen within this period of his life. We stressed that we do not want to switch schools when things take a turn for the worst. We want Andrew to start and finish school with his friends that know him as Andrew. We want him immersed in his faith in a nurturing environment and know this is first and foremost the focus at CPOP.
We were overwhelmed with the amount of support and love shown by each and every person in our meeting. They welcomed us with arms wide open and didn't even bat an eye when we discussed the challenges that lay ahead for Andrew. We were told there wasn't anything that we said that scared them or made them think twice about being able to accommodate Andrew's needs. They said Andrew would be a blessing to the CPOP community and they would be lucky to have him. It was like they knew everything that we were so desperately hoping to hear. And then after we thought we had covered everything, the Principal brought up even more options they already have in place in order for their students to receive outside therapy if needed. We really were just shocked and relieved that all of our worries and concerns were addressed and accepted without any hesitation.
So I have to add here a little story about how I truly believe God always has his hand in everything and works in mysterious ways. The principal was being shadowed that day by another professional who sat in our meeting. Towards the end of the meeting, she asked if she could say something. She told us that there was a young man who graduated from her parish school a couple of years ago with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy and what an impact he had made on the school community. She went on to say that she felt that God had put her in our meeting for a reason and told us there was nothing to worry about - that Andrew would be very successful in this setting. After talking a bit more about this other young man with Duchenne, I found out it is one of my friends' son she is talking about - really!?!? I mean, I know St. Louis is a small world, but of all people out there living with Duchenne as part of their lives (which is more common than I had ever thought), she knows the very first friend I have reached out to about Muscular Dystrophy. I had goose bumps all over my body and felt that God had sent her as our guardian angel in this meeting.
I really can't put into words all of the emotions that were going through my body that morning, but I can tell you that I left that meeting knowing this was the very place for Andrew. I don't know if we could have asked for anything more and are excited for this next transition.
No comments:
Post a Comment