Thursday, May 14, 2009

Welcome Home, Nathan Richard!!

We can hardly believe it, but we finally have Nathan home!! We have been waiting for this day for what seems like forever and cannot believe today is the day!! We could not have asked for a better day.

This past week has been quite eventful to say the least. Monday, Steve and I met with Nathan's team of doctors and nurses for a coordination meeting to make sure everyone was on the same page and more importantly aiming for the same goal - to get Nathan home. The meeting went great and ended with the staff talking to us about Nathan's discharge. We couldn't believe it!!

We have been dealing with Nathan's acid reflux and the doctors wanted to keep him for at least another 48 hours to see if he could handle being on his back to sleep rather than at an incline. He did well with this and continued to take his feedings with no problems.

After consecutive successful days, we were anxious to get Nathan home and St. John's was ready to let him go. Steve and I can't put into words what thoughts and feelings we have been having these past few days. We never in a million years would have thought that we would second guess leaving the NICU. We have made some lifelong relationships with many nurses, therapists and doctors and know that we would have never made it without them on our side. Over the past three months, Nathan has made quite a lasting impression on many. He has been through more than most people deal with in a lifetime and still has a long road ahead of him.

Before discharge, we had meetings with several therapists, social workers, doctors and nurses to make sure we covered EVERYTHING. It's amazing the amount of help and support we have around us. Nathan will continue to be followed closely by many and Steve and I feel like we have some sort of medical backgrounds by now :) Nathan came home on an apnea monitor which tracks his heart and respiratory rates. This is just a temporary precaution, but gives us a little peace of mind knowing he's being watched 24 - 7.

We are thrilled to have Nathan home and can't wait for him to continue to grow and get stronger. We are waiting for Andrew to wake up from his nap at Grandma's to bring him home to meet his little brother who is now here to stay!! We are anxious to get into a routine with both our boys - we know the next couple of days will be exhausting, but we are eager to finally be a family!!


Nathan all ready to go!!


Big yawn - exhausted from his first car ride :)


Fast asleep in his bassinet.

10 comments:

Witthaus Family said...

Welcome home, Nathan!!! I LOVE the picture of Nathan sleeping in his OWN bed! Congratulations to you and your family. Give the boys a kiss for us!

Christy said...

I am just so excited for you!!! What a wonderful day. Give him a big hug for me.

Janai Rogers said...

Congrats! I am so thrilled for your family. I know you will cherish each and every moment even more due to your experience. Have fun. What a blessing!

Evan and Maria said...

YEAH!!!!!!! I'm so happy Nathan is HOME! We are just so happy for your family! Big kisses to both the boys!

Unknown said...

We are absolutely thrilled for you, Steve and Andrew to have Nathan home!! We are so happy for you all and E and I can't wait to meet Nathan!

Kari said...

Hooray! This was a much awaited day, and we are so excited for you and the whole family! Know that you will remain in our prayers, and if there is anything you need, please give us a call! Much love to you all!

Kelly said...

WELCOME HOME, Nathan!!! We are THRILLED to hear the news and cannot wait to meet the new addition!!! We are here for anything you need, we love you guys!!! Love, The O'Connells

Maggie Laughlin Honerkamp said...

I am SO happy to hear this news! I can't imagine how happy you are to have him home. Keep us posted and congratulations. We can't wait to meet him!

Crystal said...

Welcome home Nathan!!! I'm so excited for you guys!! I can't wait to see lots more pics (especially of Nathan and Andrew together)!!
Love you guys!!!

Sherrie V said...

WELCOME HOME! You have a brand-new reason to smile. :) God has blessed you with a sweet little bundle to love. Hugs & kisses to you all.