Today Andrew started his first summer camp of many yet to come this summer :) Andrew's preschool holds two camps in May right after school lets out and we were able to make this one.
While Andrew was in camp, Nathan & I shopped for Andrew's vitamins, tums and picked up his prescription of Prednisone. After a couple of days practicing swallowing skittles and M&M's, it was time to start the real deal. I don't know how you get a five year old excited about taking pills, but we are giving it our all!! I bought a weekly pill container too and knew that Andrew would like filling it up :)
After dinner was over, Steve and I had the hardest conversation yet with our sweet little Andrew. There are no right words and I am sure we didn't say everything correctly, but we did our best to let Andrew know about the disease that he has been living with his whole life. We tried our best to put it in words that he would understand and to actually say, "Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy." Andrew is a very smart boy and knows something is going on, but we never actually told him DMD was what he has. I don't know why I was so worried to actually say Duchenne, but we did it and Andrew didn't even skip a beat and just went along his merry little way.
We were holding back tears (at least trying to) as we had to look into Andrew's big brown eyes and discuss something so horrible. God love him, he just rolls with the punches and does what is asked of him. Andrew really is the sweetest little boy and easy-going in so many ways. We are so very blessed to have Andrew as our son and we thank God for every single day we have with him.
Andrew was anxious to fill his pill pack. This little boy can always make us smile :) I don't really know many five year olds that would think this is a fun activity, but Andrew took ownership and made sure that every day had two vitamins and a tums in it as well as Prednisone on the weekends. We hope this daily dose just eases into our routine and most importantly the drugs help keep Andrew as active as ever. We are praying for no side effects and that our Andrew stays his happy little self.
No comments:
Post a Comment